'basa kita'

(Title means Our Language / 'Bahasa kitani') 'Bahasa Tutong' is the language for the Tutong community in Brunei. My parents were born in Tutong, but I am not as fluent as one should be. So Ive decided that whenever i get back home for summer, I have to start collecting bits and pieces from the dad, grandma, and old folks at local kopitiam; and share them here. This is dedicated for my family back home, I miss you all

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand

Fulltime Dentist Part-time traveller Life's Good, Alhamdulillah~

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

our letters R and K.

i might have covered this previously, maybe in one of my earlier posts. i cant emphasise this fact enough, that we tutong-ians pronounce some letters differently. lets just say, we do it tutong way. woohoo! (who's with me? *angkat tangan*)



letter R.

is pronounced as the french R. the best way to explain it. mind you, spelling will still be the same.

examples,

mingor - bising
turis - perempuan
uri - ingau
tiru - sudah


letter K.

close to sound of Q i would say. anatomically, posterior 1/3 of your glossus is pressed hard on the soft palate. (cant help it. cant help it.huhu)

for instance,

metuka - kerita

kenayi - adik
kuan - punya
kambing - kambing (duh! hehe)




take care readers, Salam.

Nakalai~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home