'basa kita'

(Title means Our Language / 'Bahasa kitani') 'Bahasa Tutong' is the language for the Tutong community in Brunei. My parents were born in Tutong, but I am not as fluent as one should be. So Ive decided that whenever i get back home for summer, I have to start collecting bits and pieces from the dad, grandma, and old folks at local kopitiam; and share them here. This is dedicated for my family back home, I miss you all

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand

Fulltime Dentist Part-time traveller Life's Good, Alhamdulillah~

Thursday, January 18, 2007

family 'kita'.

kita is a tutong word for 'kami' btw.not kita as in 'kau'.funny ey..

now now what do i call my older brother at home? not that i have an older brother tho..hehe anyways, besides jiyu/jayi.. we do use specific terms to call the members in the family.

(clears throat) ikut cikgu ya anak murid.. huhu

bapa - yapa
mama - yama
abang - yabang
kaka - yaya (nope,not yaka. hehe)
uda - yuda

and i notice one trend in my dad's family (but i dont know if it applies to other family aswell.or its the correct way - i should find out) yes im using real names here. my dad calls his brothers/sisters*..

uda (hj ibrahim) - yuda <-- sometimes, ya-im
ismail (hj) - ya-il
jamil (hj) - yamil
acheh (hj rosaimi) - yacheh
abdulrahman (hj) - yaman
adi (hjh masni) - yadi
inah (hjh aminah) - yinah
dayang (hjh maidah) - yayang
jamilah (hjh ) - milah <-- this is weird. i should ask my dad about this. :P

**those not in brackets are their names (in malay) at home.nicknames lah kiranya.

some more, to give you clearer idea..

awang - yawang
boboi - yuboi
ibrahim - ya-im
alai - yalai
khairul - yerol

now now if u can see, there are 'y-'(s) added infront of the names. there are two theories lingering in my mind rite now, either they are used to replace malay's 'si-' (eg. si-khairul) or..
to make it more family-ish.instead of saying yabang for all the brothers,mebe. - i should find out.
/to be edited.

i'll be back, salam.

Nakalai~
(yes im 'alai' at home. why not yalai,u might ask. others call me yalai, my nenek saja yang panggil nakalai all the time. others call me 'nakalai' sometimes, when they try to 'manja'kan aku.. huhu.
ehhh macam klw mama kamu ckap, "eh berakal 'anak-mama' ani".so 'anak-mama' in tutong, 'nak-ma' lah.)
nb: i love it when someone calls me 'nakalai'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home